Saturday, February 18, 2012

Fathers

We all love our fathers, (that's a generalisation I will bravely make) but for Noboru, they are the worst of mankind. In Sailor, Ryuji assumes the role of Noboru's father. While Ryuji tries to bond with his new step-son, Noboru absolutely hates having to deal with a former sailor, especially now that he (Ryuji) is now a "landlubber".

I admire my father and I don't think that'll change if he changes his job. But for Noboru, I realise it's much, much deeper than that. First of all, his mind is poisoned with the chief's thoughts on abusive fathers, manipulating Noboru's perspective. Disgusting thoughts like "Fathers are the flies of this world...Filthy lecherous flies" (Mishima, 138) turn Noboru's mind against Ryuji. Secondly, his universal order is disrupted (see my first post) and the circular chain is broken, creating a void. If you notice, the Sailor is the only physical, sentient connection Noboru has with the sea. When the link breaks, Noboru takes his frustration out on Ryuji.

However, I don't sympathise with Noboru. Quite the contrary, I think Ryuji deserves sympathy. When Noboru is caught peeping in, Ryuji decides not to beat him but instead come to terms with him. He is actually a kind, understanding character who doesn't sense Noboru's concealed hatred. By connecting Noboru's father to my own, antipathy is "created" in my eyes towards him. Certainly, a malleable, volatile character like Noboru doesn't understand or care for Ryuji's apparent, gratuitous affection. All Ryuji gets in the end is a cup of tea filled with sleeping pills and some twisted boys waiting to dissect him.


Everything goes back the the Sea. =)



No comments:

Post a Comment